Care Advocate / Benefits Specialist
Full and Part-time Positions Available
Our rapidly growing company is looking for people with outgoing and positive personalities to help our clients navigate their healthcare benefits. Knowledge about medical benefits or medical billing is a plus, but we mostly need people who are passionate about helping people. Our clients often call us on their worst day, when they have been given a difficult diagnosis or have been told they need a surgery or after they have received a large medical bill. Our job is to assure them that we have their back. You will often be the only person they talk to who understands their condition or specific need. Our Advocates get to know our clients very well, and are often emotional when they can get a “win” for the client.
The primary responsibility is to help employees get the most value from their benefit plan. The Care Advocate/ Benefits Specialist will work closely with client employees to act as their personal guide in helping them understand their benefit plan; identify the correct resources to resolve any issues; act as their advocate to resolve issues on their behalf; identify and communicate high value healthcare provider options within their benefit plan design; facilitate the scheduling of any appointments if needed; and work closely with other third party service providers to ensure the employee has received the requested information.
HR generalists or people who have helped people understand their benefits for a health system will come to this position with the best training, but we also have former teachers, wellness coaches, and recent college graduates on our staff.
In addition, following up with the employee to ensure issue resolution and client satisfaction.
This will require the ability to quickly build positive relationships with the employee and all third parties involved. You will often act as a “coach,” presenting possible solutions to complicated healthcare concerns. This may include; clearly communicating provider options, confirming network participation of providers, directly or indirectly connecting the employee to the right solution provider, teaching the employee how to use our web based platform, connecting the employee to one of our physician partners if medical questions are involved and making a smooth hand off of the employee to the proper solution provider. In addition, the Benefits Specialist will further support the employee by acting as a resource to explain all other healthcare related benefits, such as information about health risk assessment details, employee assistance programs, wellness programs, on-site / near-site clinic information or other healthcare benefits offered by the employer. Enter all client interactions into the CRM tools.
We need people who:
- Enjoy talking with people on the phone
- Want to be part of a team
- Have effective listening skills – listen to understand and confirm your understanding
- Can work independently as needed and to use resources effectively
- The ability to look ‘outside the box’ – finding the best and creative ways to make the best of their benefits
- Can work in an unstructured environment, and solve problems with little direction, or without well defined processes or systems.
- Have the ability to build positive, trusting relationships with employees
- Ability our software to document interactions and navigate the internet to find pertinent information.
- The ability to Coach and Motivate over the telephone
- Can maintain strict compliance with HIPAA regulations
- Are compliant with all company policies and procedures
- Have a desire to constantly learn and develop new skills
- Perform additional related duties as assigned by supervisor
Work Experience Requirements:
- Human Resources, Insurance industry, Wellness or Teaching experience is a plus Experience with insurance billing or coding practices is helpful
- Excellent computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with internal and external customers
- Small, startup or early stage company experience
- Customer service, retail or any customer facing medical work
- Roles where you have had to work with others to find solutions by identifying the issue, evaluating the best options, and offering solutions in a compelling manner
- Any position where you have worked independently and with little supervision. Once you have completed training, you are essentially running your own business, with no one looking over your shoulder telling you what to do. You will have performance metrics and all activities are tracked digitally – so you can’t log in in late or log out early, and all calls are recorded.
- Any position where you have had diverse responsibilities
- A College Degree is preferred but NOT required. Life experience is more important.
Pay: If Salary: $40,000 – $50,000 annually. If Hourly: $17 – $22 per hour
401K, Vision, Dental, PTO
Free off-street parking
Location: Work from home anywhere in the U.S., or in the Milwaukee or Green Bay offices
Contact: Ted Starling by sending your resume to Ted@alithias.com